Thursday 11 October 2007

NOT the coffee break blog

That's the logo of the International Association of Media Tie-in Writers.
(Yes, we have a union.)

Like the subject line says, this is not the coffee break blog. Still have not figured out what that one is going to be about.

What I wanted to do is direct you to this link:
Lucky Fortune for You

If you go to my Live Journal and read the Oct 11 entry that begins with the IAMTW symbol you'll get the long story about why that site's significant. The short version is that it's another example of what I call "media tie-in web content" -- one that's a lot more fun than the last one.

2 comments:

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

I think my twelve year old would enjoy Cathy's Book although it's written more for girls...I might read it too.

The old japanese lady was spookily accurate with me.

KayJay said...

Yep, I got into the whole Alternate Reality Game thing a while back, but through tv, web and games, rather than books - although some of them (eg the 'Lost' game) have spawned books.

I think Cathy's Book is great, but I remember reading that they had a load of trouble getting it published. Everyone they showed it to thought it was exciting and unique, but didn't want to take a chance on it...because it was a little too unique. Interestingly, I don't think they necessarily wrote it for the Y/A female market; it's my understanding it is read/played by many 20/30/40 yr old males! When it first came out, relatively few non-gaming people were aware of it over here (UK). Then again, it was on the New York Times bestseller list for a while. Maybe some of those publishers wished they hadn't passed!

It takes a special kind of skill to write this stuff. Real flying-by-the-seat-of-yer-pants type skills! It's interactive and organic...maybe it's the future?