Thursday 20 March 2008

Models for Third Person Limited

Hi all,

I'm following Cally's pov question with one of my own. I'm looking for examples of novels written from third point limited omniscient. Have you read any recent mainstream, women's fic, or chiclit written from this pov? I have Messud's Emperor's Children on my list and Janet Fitch's Paint It Black. Any other suggestions?

UPDATE: In case my phrasing was confusing~~I'm looking for novels told in third person but where you only see things from the main character's pov. You're basically in their head but it's told in 3rd person instead of 1st.

Thanks!

K.Imaginelli

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't come across the phrase "third point limited omniscient" before. I guess you mean the narrator is effectively the novelist themelves, and therefore sees / knows things the characters do not... but I'm not sure about the "limited" part?

Lucy said...

Thanks for your comment, Clare! I tried to clarify my language in the update. :)

Kate said...

Hmmm... sounds like a tricky pov to write in.

I dont recall any books written like this.

Anonymous said...

This might seem like an obvious question but: Why not write it in first person?

Or is it just curiosity?