So next Thursday is the day a lot of us will be celebrating something or other and eating far too much food and drinking far too much drink. I will be celebrating the wonders of commercialism (I am not religious but am a hypocrite and celebrate Christmas) and eating turkey and partaking in a glass or 7 of wine. I have put my requests in with Santa and await with baited breath to see if he gets it right this year. I got a set of knives and some baking trays last year!
Anyway, I am sure most of you will have heard of the game "Marry, snog, chuck off a cliff" where you chose a celeb you would marry, one you would snog and one you would cheerfully chuck off a cliff or other high point. As we are all writers I thought I would do a different take on it for today's coffee morning.
So my questions for you today are these:
- Which book do you wish you had written?
- Which book do you really regret reading?
- Which author do you admire, either for the wonderful work they have written or the fact they seem to be doing well out of writing total tripe?
- What book would you like to find in your stocking/under the tree this year?
My answers would be:
- 'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtenay for the beauty of the words and the fact I could visualise Africa and the events unfolding clearly in my mind as I read it.
- 'Chasing Harry Winston' by Lauren Weisberger. Didn't like the characters, had no empathy for them and thought the whole thing was rather shallow.
- Dan Brown. I just don't get it. I have no desire to read his books. I have read the blurb on the cover but it just seems to be overrated and over hyped. Doesn't appeal to me at all but he seems to be doing rather well out of it all.
- I'd like Jaime Oliver's Ministry of Food or Alan Carr's book Look Who It is!: My Story
And as for the celeb version I would go for: Marry - Michael Vartan, Snog - David Beckham and Chuck Off A Cliff - Jeremy Clarkson
Last of all I would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays and that you enjoy celebrating whatever it is that brings you joy. Me I like shopping and eating so this is like my nirvana!