Many authors, both published and unpublished, make some of their work available on the internet for anyone to read. This can range from short excerpts, selected chapters or even full works. This week I would like to discuss the pros and cons of doing this. To get us started, here are a few things to consider.
- Does it bring positive or negative publicity?
- Does it count as being published, or perhaps self-published?
- What are the copyright implications?
- How much have you showcased? e.g. teaser, extract, chapter(s) or full work?
- What feedback, if any, did you receive? Was it constructive?
- Has this been discussed elsewhere? Please provide links if so.
Perhaps at the end of the discussion, we can tot things up and then get an idea of whether showcasing our work is a good or a bad idea.
This topic was prompted by a discussion on facebook.