Saturday 23 June 2007

Yankee Racer

Hello from the left side of the Atlantic - although to be honest, I'm closer to the Pacific right now. I reside in the state of Colorado, in the United States. Despite what anyone may think of Colorado, I live in the eastern plains. (Think more like Kansas and Wizard of Oz, then Rocky Mountain High.) It's flat, it's scrubby, it's dry - but for now, it's home.

I started writing seriously when I began the first book I ever finished. (I started about a half dozen books before then, but they all fell by the wayside.) That was January of 2004. Since then I've written 3 complete novels. Two of those three are going through edits right now, and the third is being shopped out to agents.

My first two novels are what can best be described as literary thrillers, and the third falls under the label of speculative fiction. I've also written several short stories and poems, but so far nothing has been published. (Unless you count the one poem I have published back when I was a teen - in an anthology I had to buy. Not really a great accomplishment now that I think about it.) Right now, for the race, I'm working on my fourth book and first mystery. Since I'm about 75% of the way through the first draft (and understand my first drafts are always short), I'll probably have to start another book just to keep up with everyone else here. The next book? Heh, that's a secret.

Prior to starting my writing career, I was a Jack-of-all-trades. Once I sat down and counted all the jobs I've ever held, and I've probably held one job for every year I've been alive. Everything from stable hand to telemarketer to Executive Administrative Assistant to the Vice President of Operations. (The longest title I've ever had.) I've worked in sales, clerical, management, and labor. All of this, I think, gives me a lot of fodder for writing.

Now, other than being a writer, I'm a stay-at-home mom who homeschools her teenage daughter. During the school year, I teach during the day and work on writing at night. I never knew how much I didn't know until I started to teach.

Feel free to drop by my blog or drop me an e-mail any time. I'm usually around the net somewhere.

3 comments:

Erica Ridley said...

Hi B!

*waves*

E

Unknown said...

I didn't know you were from the east coast did? So another displaced Yankee.......

B.E. Sanderson said...

Hi Erica! =o)

Sorry, Liz, not so much east coast as North vs. South. I'm originally from Michigan, and then I lived in North Florida for a while. To the folks there, I was definitely a Yankee. And then, as opposed to being a Brit, I'm a Yank. ;o) (And if I really wanted to stretch, I love the NY Yankees.) With all the moving around I've done, I'm very displaced.