Tuesday 8 April 2008

Synchronizing PC/laptop files

This isn't exactly a writing question, but it's related.

Can anyone give some advice on the best tool to synchronize files on different computers [laptops/PC]? Wasn't there something called My Briefcase that used to do this? I can't find it on any of the computers I currently use. I found something online called Easy2Sync: http://www.replybutler.com/en/produkte/easy2sync.php. It has a free version that I'm willing to try - but I'm wary of downloads from unfamiliar sources. Help, anyone?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is some software called Microsoft ActiveSync but I think that's for mobile devices (pocket PC etc) rather than laptops.

If you don't see the MS Briefcase and you're using Windows XP, try right-clicking on a blank area of the desktop and choosing "new->briefcase". I don't know if this is still available with Vista.

Anonymous said...

If you're working with Windows, there is an option available called Synchronise Offline Files or something similar, which can do the job for you, but it might depend on how your networking is set up.

Just open any Windows folder, select the Tools menu and you should have a "Synchronise" option available. I used to use it a lot at work, when I wanted to grab stuff off the network and copy it to the hard drive on my laptop so I could work from home.

Liane Spicer said...

Thank you, Captain and Clare. I'll explore these options.

Graeme K Talboys said...

I have used AllwaySync in the past. It allows free use if you only do it occassionally, and a small one-off fee for heavy use.

Liane Spicer said...

Thank you, Graeme. I'll look into that option as well.