For some reason I've never been much good at getting quick results from online research. I either spend hours disappearing down blind alleys or just get bombarded with irrelevant info and run away quickly in despair.
So anyway, I'm just doing a final polish on my second book before it gets sent to the German translator, and I'm checking / researching a few things. Can you answer any of the following qus? If so, let me know in the comments.
1. How many words might you be allowed to use when describing yourself for an online dating site?
2. If you lived in Hebden Bridge and wanted a good night out at a nearby Bingo hall, would Roxy Bingo in Sowerby Bridge be a suitable choice?
3. Does it make sense to talk of them "doing a special feature" on a particular news item on News 24?
4. There is an old man, let's call him G. He has a younger girlfriend / partner, let's call her T, who then becomes mother to his son. He also has a grandson, L, who has a son, P. P is the result of a one-night stand between L and P's mother, we'll call her H.
What relation is H (the grandson's one night stand) to T (the grandfather's girlfriend)? They're not blood relations and neither of them are married to the fathers of their children. But their children are related (T's son is great uncle to H's son). If they were both married to the fathers of their sons, T would be H's step-grandmother-in-law. I think. Because G is L's grandfather, and T would be L's step-grandmother. And H, as L's wife, would be G's granddaughter-in-law, so T would be her step-grandmother-in-law. But they're not married. Are there equivalent terms for these relationships when the parties aren't married to each other, or are they just undefined?
5. If you were trying to create a hypnotic tribal effect, might you have drummers using bongos and tablas at the same time?
6. What are the main places people commute to from Hebden Bridge? It's actually pretty much surrounded by conurbations, so I could mention Burnley, Halifax, Rochdale, Bury... the list could go on and on. But would it be reasonable to just list Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield and Manchester as being major commuter destinations from Hebden Bridge?
7. Does the British Magic Circle's Inner Circle have some kind of head honcho, and if so what is their title? Is it President? Secretary? Grand Master?
Thanking you in advance...